Saturday 12 March 2011

Be Careful Getting Your Taxes Done!

Like many Canadians, the temptation of having the guaranteed maximum refund H & R Block offers (along with walking out cash in hand) is too much to pass up....but unlike most Canadians, I went to H & R Block having done my own taxes for both myself and my husband.  Nothing fancy.  Just calculated them myself using the calculator on my cell phone and those forms you pick up at the post office.  This way I had at least an idea of what type of refund I could expect. 

Upon attending the local H & R Block, I had dreams of walking out of there much richer than when I had arrived.  Those dreams were shattered when the lady advised me that I would be getting back a MUCH smaller refund than that which I had calculated, also...my husband would be getting a refund (which my way he was not getting one, but I was getting one that could pay off his debt and have money left over to purchase that much awaited bed).  As she reviewed her numbers with us, I nearly bit my tongue off.  Could this be right?  Could I really be that stupid???  The difference in the numbers was a difference of thousands of dollars.  I decided I needed to speak up.  It just so happened that I had brought my funny little post office tax forms with me along with all my paper work.  I advised her that I just couldnt understand the descripancy in the numbers and asked if she could take a look.  She looked amazed.  Could this be right??  As she began to calculate the numbers she called in additional workers to help her.  Apparently there is some new software they are using at the H & R Block which is supposed to be more efficient.  Her co-worker assured me that the other employee was competent....sure....I felt much better after that.  More co-workers poured in.  Phone calls were made.   My husband and I looked on in amazement.  Sure enough, my calculations were on par.

Let this be your lesson....though H & R Block guarantees the maximum refund, this may not always be the case and it could be beneficial to you to check your taxes and crunch the numbers yourself prior to attending H & R Block or any other tax establishment.  All it takes is a trip to your local post office for a set of forms, some patience, a calculator and lots of time.  Takes awhile to do them yourself but it could save you tons of heartache and thousands of dollars!

No comments:

Post a Comment